Provided by the National Credit Regulator www.ncr.org.za
Summary high level
Credit bureaus create consumer credit profiles based on credit information received from credit providers, courts and utility service providers. The National Credit Regulator (NCR) regulates and monitors registered credit bureaus and the quality of their data.
Stats as at the end of December 2015:
- Credit bureaus held records for 23.74 million credit-active consumers, an increase
of 1.3% when compared to the 23.45 million in the previous quarter. Consumers
classified in good standing increased by 343,000, to 13.87 million consumers. As a
percentage of the total number of credit-active consumers, this reflects an increase of
0.7% quarter-on-quarter and 3.3% year-on-year.
- The number of consumers with impaired records decreased by 47,000 to 9.87 million,
from 9.91 million in the previous quarter.
• The number of accounts increased from 80.60 million in the previous quarter to 83.55
million. The number of impaired accounts decreased from 20.24 million to 19.99
million when compared to the previous quarter, a decrease of 245,000 quarter-onquarter
and 2.29 million year-on-year.
- A total of 418.69 million enquiries were made on consumer credit records, an increase
of 11.3% quarter-on-quarter and a decrease of 3.2% year-on-year. Enquiries initiated
by consumers accounted for 15.64 million of all enquiries, a decrease of 0.9% quarteron-
quarter and 0.9% year-on-year.
- Of the total enquiries made on consumer records, enquiries from banks and other
financial institutions accounted for 66.6%, enquiries from retailers accounted for 6.4%
and enquiries from telecommunication providers accounted for 2.7%. Banks and
other financial institutions’ enquiries increased by 6.4% from the previous quarter,
retailers increased by 2.7% and telecommunication providers decreased by 16.7%.
- The number of credit reports issued to consumers decreased to 144,210. Of the total
credit reports issued, 62.5% (90,150) were issued without charge, and the remaining
37.5% (54,060) were issued with charge.
- There were 24,920 disputes lodged on information held on consumer credit records
for the quarter ended December 2015, a decrease of 13.6% quarter-on-quarter and
an increase of 9.2% year-on-year.
Download full report below under the section 'Attachments'